Jay and I have decided to start this blog in order to keep track of our kids’ progress throughout the years, to give them something entertaining (hopefully) to read when they grow up, to keep family and friends in the loop of our daily life and to reach out to anyone who cares what it is like to walk a day or two in our shoes! We hope to keep up with the blog on a regular basis and to entertain you along the way. While we can’t promise anything, we’ll do our best.


DISCLAIMER: nothing in this blog is to upset anyone, it is our thoughts, our interpretation of life and our story… please do not bash us for having an opinion on life!



Monday, January 30, 2012

Twin Facts

Along our journey of growing twins, we learned something interesting about twins that I thought I’d share with anyone who might be interested in twins!

Identical twins are not hereditary… they are actually a fluke of nature (sorry for all you identical twins out there, I don’t mean that in a bad way)!  Anyone can have identical twins, it just happens.  An egg that is supposed to be one happens to split into two!

Fraternal twins are hereditary.  They do not skip a generation like many believe… they can pop up anywhere.  But here is what is most people don’t know… it’s only the girls that will have them (yes, I know what you are thinking… that was a dumb thing to say as only girls can have babies, but hear me out)!  My grandfather was a fraternal twin.  He passed it to my mother, who passed it to me… now… Noah and Carter will only have twins if it runs in THEIR wives’ families, however Paige can have twins!  Does this make sense… here is another example…. My mom passed it to me and both of my brothers, however my brothers would not have frats unless it ran in their wives’ families, however their daughters could have them!  Interesting?!  Basically since my grandfather was a twin, all my female cousins could have them, but none of the male cousins, but their daughters could! 

I guess the science behind this is simple:  Fraternal twins are hereditary.  There is a gene in there somewhere that causes a FEMALE to release two eggs at random times (thanks grandpa).  And BAM… both eggs are fertilized and you have twins!  Obviously, boys don’t release eggs so they have nothing to do with the equation… this is why Jay blames me personally when the twins are bad!  Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment