Jay and I have decided to start this blog in order to keep track of our kids’ progress throughout the years, to give them something entertaining (hopefully) to read when they grow up, to keep family and friends in the loop of our daily life and to reach out to anyone who cares what it is like to walk a day or two in our shoes! We hope to keep up with the blog on a regular basis and to entertain you along the way. While we can’t promise anything, we’ll do our best.


DISCLAIMER: nothing in this blog is to upset anyone, it is our thoughts, our interpretation of life and our story… please do not bash us for having an opinion on life!



Monday, April 16, 2012

Our Twins Are Now Triplets! Who Knew?!

Recently I heard the term "Irish Twins" used and my curiosity got the best of me!  What in the world are Irish Twins?  Being Irish and having twins forced me to do a little research on the matter. 

The phrase Irish Twins originated in the 1800's and was a derogatory term associated with Irish immigrants.  It insinuated that Irish Catholics were uneducated because of their large families with children close in age.  It suggested that Irish people lacked knowledge regarding birth control and self-control.  Who knew?! 

In modern times, this phrase is used to describe having two children in the same calendar year or two children within 12 months of one another. 

Now, I knew there had to be a name for the situation that Jay and I find ourselves living in!  Insane?  Crazy? Blessed?  Maybe, but as it turns out... there is an even better term!  We live our lives with three children who were, when the second and third arrived, all three under two years old!  We now live with three children, two and under! Does this make us special?  Nope, but at least we have a name... we are the proud parents of Irish Triplets!


Irish Triplets is the name given to three children, born to the same mother, within three years!  While it's original meaning would be extremely derogatory... we aren't in the 1800's anymore!  No more are these phrases insults!  I am Irish, I am a former Catholic, my husband is Irish... we are proud that we are uneducated about birth control and self-control!!!  


Our Irish Triplets are the best thing that ever happened to us!  I am sure anyone with Irish Triplets can agree! Oh, pay no attention to the fact that Miss Karrigan has TWO headbands on... the Easter Bunny was nice to her and she wanted to try them both out!!

So, not only am I the proud parent of Irish Triplets... it turns out I AM AN IRISH TRIPLET!  Evidently, my parents are also uneducated and have no self-control because they too created three children in under three years!  What took me 1 year and 8 months to accomplish took my mom 2 years and 9 months to accomplish!  And this is all she got in return! And here are her triplets!


Seriously Brother Bears... we need to work on a more up to date photo!
So, are you an Irish Twin or Triplet? Do the math and let us know!!!

2 comments:

  1. Love this! Cute AND I learned something :)

    Melisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess we're right there with you! Andrew has just turned three when we had Eli!

    ReplyDelete