Jay and I have decided to start this blog in order to keep track of our kids’ progress throughout the years, to give them something entertaining (hopefully) to read when they grow up, to keep family and friends in the loop of our daily life and to reach out to anyone who cares what it is like to walk a day or two in our shoes! We hope to keep up with the blog on a regular basis and to entertain you along the way. While we can’t promise anything, we’ll do our best.


DISCLAIMER: nothing in this blog is to upset anyone, it is our thoughts, our interpretation of life and our story… please do not bash us for having an opinion on life!



Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Mommy's Little Helper

Being stuck in the house with three children for three weeks has been draining.  I’ve been back at work for a week now after dealing with RSV.  We spent this past weekend on lockdown waiting to see if we would come down with the horrible stomach bug that has plagued my office since I returned.  Every day we watch as another co-worker falls victim and runs home in misery!  Luckily, we seemed to have done something right and God granted us a pass on this illness…
Noah has handled solitary confinement quite well these past few weeks and he’s been a great help to us as well!  Last week, I finished feeding the babies and was working on getting them changed into pajamas and into bed when Noah did the cutest thing!  There I was, sitting on the nursery floor, just finishing getting Paige all bundled up for the night when Noah squats down next to me, hands on his knees, puts his little face right in mine and says “Noah help?”  WOW!  “Sure” I say, hey even help from my one year old is still help!  “What do you want to help with?” I ask him.  “Carter diaper” he says!  And he proceeds to go to town!  I sat there in total shock witnessing my almost two year old help me by changing his brother!  Yes, the process would have been quicker if I had done it myself, but I know an opportunity for a blog post when I see one!  Not to mention seeing the sense of accomplishment beaming from my son when he was finished!
Please disregard the state of the nursery in these photos!  We have never had time to finish decorating it and the twins’ dressers are still being built so their clothes are stored in bins!  It’s amazing how you run out of time to get these things done once they actually arrive!  Our changing table is still in Noah’s room and I’ve found that having this makeshift changing spot in their room, with their clothes is actually more efficient than running back and forth!  And when you have multiples… efficiency is key!  Oh... and please ignore the fact that Carter is covered in puke... he can be as messy as Paige some days!
Here is Noah’s understanding of how to change a diaper from watching mommy and daddy:
Step 1:  Give Carter his binkie, even if he spits it out… and be sure to crush his rib cage in the process!
Step 2:  Put on a glove.  This step was learned by watching daddy!  Daddy does not do diapers without a glove and Noah is just like his daddy… he even put it on the correct hand!
Step 3:  Violently rip Carter’s pants from his body!
Step 4:  Unsnap Carter’s onesie!  (I love how Carter has no idea of the danger he is in)!

Step 5:  Remove diaper!
Step 6 and Step 7 must remain in your imagination because daddy did not feel that photos of Noah cleaning Carter’s winkie with a wipe and putting on a clean diaper were appropriate for the world to see… and I can’t say I blame him!
Step 8:  Throw out the dirty diaper and wipes! 
Mommy stepped in at this point and re-dressed Carter in his pajamas!  I am so grateful to have such a wonderful helper!  He takes pride in helping me out as much as his little body can!  He takes bottles to the sink, he gets burp clothes, he retrieves binkies, and he burps the babies during their feedings!  Okay, so he only enjoys burping them because he can smack them as hard as he wants and he doesn’t get in trouble… but still, he’s helping!!!
Now if only he would teach Daddy some of these tricks!  Just kidding Daddy!!!  You are a wonderful help too, but then again you don’t get the thanks that Noah does… you helped create this chaos we call life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment